Fri, Jun 16|
Horsethief Gulch Campground
We will provide campsite, firewood, fishing gear, bait and a lot of fun!!!
Time & Location
Jun 16, 2023, 8:00 AM PDT – Jun 18, 2023, 12:00 PM PDT
Horsethief Gulch Campground, Eagle Valley Reservoir, Nevada 89043, USA
About the Event
We will provide meals for the weekend, along with everything you need to go fishing. Bring your family and let's have some fun with our fellow veterans!
We will have a group campsite with hot showers nearby. Expect the nights to be spent sitting around the campfire, swapping stories, and enjoying each other's company. Keep in mind that there is little or no cell phone reception in this area. The nearest town is Pioche (with a small market and gas station, but not much else). Here's a few more tips:
- Camping: We will have a designated place to set up tents. Since we anticipate a lot of folks, we ask that you park only in designated parking. We recommend tent, sleeping bags, extra clothes, camp chairs, etc. The nights will be chilly with temps down into the 50's, so plan to dress in layers.
- Fishing: Our group fishing license covers just the veterans. Kids under 12 don't need a license. Those who are 12-18 can get a youth fishing license. If you need a license for your kid, we recommend a 1-day pass from any WalMart or other place where fishing licenses. There will be a fishing tournament with prizes. Any fish are fair game except for bass (they are out of season), but the reservoir has been stocked with plenty of trout.
- Food: We will have John Mull's meats for dinner, and burgers & dogs for lunch, and eggs and things for breakfast. Feel free to bring snacks.
- Alcohol: We are not providing alcohol. So, if that's your thing, feel free to bring the beverage of your choice.
- Shed Hunting: Gavin is going to lead the shed-hunting adventure.
- Phone/Internet: There is no phone service in the camp. You might have to drive several miles towards town to get reception, but, we are planning to have internet access available so you can stay in touch with people or they can reach you in case of an emergency.
- Safety: While we do have general insurance, we will still ask you to sign a waiver when you arrive. Be safe, not sorry. If you kayak, wear a life vest. If you can't swim, stay out of the lake. Just don't do anything stupid or unfortunate that you'll regret (or require hospitalization).
For those who are new to camping, here's a handy checklist to reference: https://koa.com/blog/the-ultimate-camping-packing-list-printable-pdf-camping-checklist/
Here is the agenda for the weekend;
Friday, June 16th, 2023
0700: Group Campsite Officially Opens
- Enter the campground on the left (opposite the lake), go almost all the way up the road, look for us on the left side. If you find yourself coming back down the other side of the campground, you went too far.
- You’re welcome to camp with us unless you choose to camp in an open campsite (but you don’t have to pay to camp with us).
7:30am - 8:30am: Breakfast (for those early arrivals)
8:30am: Registration begins, Setting up camp
12:00pm – 1pm: Lunch
1pm – 3pm
- Relax in camp
- Go play in the lake
- Play games
- Fish: Catch & Release
7:00pm-10:00pm: Evening Activities
- Sit around the campfire
- Merriment ensues
- Scott Robinson’s spoken word poetry!
- Ghost stories
Saturday, June 17, 2023
7:30 AM - 8:30: Breakfast
9:00am-12:00pm: Fishing derby
Rules for Catch, Measure, Record
1. This tournament is an Honor System tournament
2. Pick up bait and pole if needed at NVOAF Camp HQ
3. Fishing from the bank only
4. Minimum 3 fish to qualify catch and release
5. Notify an NVOAF Official (orange hat) to record your catch
6. Fishing ends at 12:00pm
7. Please be courteous of other anglers
8. Tournament will happen rain or shine
9. In case of a tie – first fish registered breaks a tie.
10. Judges rulings are final
11. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by parent or guardian
12. Mixed bag all fish in the lake are eligible
2:30pm-4:30pm: Option 1: Fly Fishing Instruction with Rob
- Knot tying instruction NVOAF Camp HQ
- Lakeside instruction
- Equipment located at the NVOAF trailer (limited Supplies)
2:30PM – 5:00pm: Shed Hunting with Gavin
- Get your shed hunting certificate at: https://www.ndow.org/blog/nevada-shed-hunting-certificate/
- You must take a 30-minute course and pass the quiz to earn your free Shed Hunting Certificate from NDOW to participate
- Sit around the campfire
- Enjoy the evening
- Swap stories
10:00pm: Quiet Time
Sunday, June 18, 2023 (Father's Day)
9:30am-12:30pm: Pack up Camp and Go Home, Drive Safely, See you next year!